Wednesday 26 December 2012

Heaven is Closer


For the next few years I imagine we will be meeting strangers who have been praying for our family. I opened the door to one and her daughter bearing a plate of freshly made Christmas cookies and a gift.  Some have approached me with a number.  I just met 2:20pm. An alarm on her watch goes off every day to remind her to pray for Jordan, and now, our family. She arrived with a tray beef enchiladas, a CD, journal and book.  I can't recall ever praying for a stranger every day, faithfully at the same time...for months.
A debt of love I can never repay...only pass on.

We look at sickness differently.  Even the "little stuff".  I see no use in it.  There is enough hardship and persecution in this world to mold our character.  Sickness and disease just distracts or sidelines us from loving others.  I've heard untold sermons over the years about the benefits of illness - I just don't believe it anymore.  I don't see it in Scripture. Jesus healed everyone who came to Him.  I see no examples where He paused before a sick person only to say, "your sickness is God's will", or "this is a good lesson." It's the enemy who comes to steal, kill and destroy.  Jesus declared that He came to bring us Life and Life Abundant.  And then He gave us the authority as believers to carry His Life and dispense it.  Jordan became a very good dispenser.  I want to do the same.

I find myself wanting to talk about Jordan often.  Just because he no longer lives with us doesn't mean he is not in my thoughts, a central figure in this last incredible year....It was such a privilege to be his mom.

While playing reverse charades at our friends' home the other night we found ourselves caught up in the hilarity.  I felt Jordan's giant smile and Jesus' pleasure.  The very best of earth is just a drop of delight experienced in heaven.  My son will never be bored again, wondering what he should do while he waits for anything.  Bored was never a term really allowed in our home without a broom being placed in one's hand. :-)  But I could tell when my kids were getting antsy.  There is no bored or boring in heaven. There is constant discovery, amazing adventure, the ability to do what you dream and a perfect body, mind and spirit to do them with - along with relationships that carry no judgement or shame or comparison - just joy and a deep sense of belonging.  How could it be any different in the Father's presence? Of course heaven is closer for me with my son and my father there. Just a thin veil between us.

P.S. Some friends have asked about my favourite heaven resources.  I had never heard a message preached on heaven.  Strange when you think about it being our ultimate destination.  And the angels in clouds playing harps just don't even sound interesting :-). Randy Alcorn's book, Heaven, is my favourite.  It's huge but it's so worth it.  Eye has not seen and ear has not heard what God has prepared for those who love Him BUT God has revealed them to us by His Spirit.    (I used to stop at verse 9 of 1 Corinthians forgetting that verse 10 was next)

We also put the media links to the celebration service on the right hand side of the blog page. So the full service, slide show and the We Win song are over there.